Friday, March 26, 2010

Hakuna Matata

Children never cease to amaze me. They constantly bring up conversations that lead me to think about our amazing God.

I work as an assistant director in an elementary school's after school program. Today, as the other assistant director (Kate) and I were singing silly songs with a few kids outside, I thought about one of my favorite Disney movie songs: "Hakuna Matata" from The Lion King. For those of you who may not know (and if you do, you'll have the privilege of hearing it again), "Hakuna Matata" is Swahili for "There are no worries."

I believe that God uses amusing songs and even amusing children to give us worrisome adults a good kick in the brain. As Josh and I come closer and closer to our May deadline (when Josh finishes his Masters degree), every phone call and e-mail makes our heart skip a beat. We are anxiously awaiting contact about jobs.

Really, we should say hakuna matata as soon as we wake up in the morning. But, of course, it's only human to be a little on edge about what we'll be doing and where we'll be in just a little over a month.

I find myself wondering if I should be more worried. But I think that God has given me a huge life lesson in worrying... and I have definitely learned from it!

Last year, around this time, I planned on finishing my Masters by May 2010 and getting a wonderful full-time job. Well, I got engaged to my lovely Joshua Allan, I started graduate school, we planned our wedding, and everything was smoothly running on MY planned schedule. Then by August 2009, a new director of my Masters program shot down all of my plans--she completely threw out all plans I had made with the previous director! Clemson's budget was in crisis... so no more graduate assistantship. Miss Director shot down my internship. Then to top it all off, she shot down approval for me to take more than 12 credit hours in the Fall and Spring... meaning no May graduation and MORE money I had to spend out of pocket. I was devastated and had to put off school.

I may have deferred enrollment, but it was meant to happen. I had more time for the wedding and newlywed life, and I have had more time to be a support for my husband as he finishes his degree.

After learning that LIFE doesn't always go as planned, I know that everything will work out. Josh and I both may continue with school this summer, or we may both get wonderful full-time jobs. Josh may continue with school while I find a job, or vice-versa. Who knows?? I just know that as long as we keep God first and support one another, Josh and I will be happy...

Hakuna matata!

Jenna J.

No comments:

Post a Comment